Ph.D., Univ. of Mass. at Amherst, Chemical Engineering, 1991. Thesis: "Non-Linearity, Chaos, and Self-Similarity: Effects of Mixing, Aggregation, Reaction, and Breakup on Structure Formation." (Advisor: Prof. Julio M. Ottino)
B.S., University of Mar del Plata, Argentina, Chemical Engineering, 1985.
Elected member, USP expert committee on Quality Standards for Pharmaceutical Continuous Manufacturing, Nov. 2016
Inventor of the Year Award 2016, NJ Inventors Hall of Fame
Professor of the year Award, Rutgers School of Engineering, 2015
Rutgers University Teacher Scholar Award, 2015
University of Alberta Distinguished Speaker Award 2015
PSE Model-Based Innovation Prize 2013
American Institute of Chemical Engineers, North American Mixing Forum 2008 Award for Excellence and Sustained Contributions to Mixing Research and Practice
American Institute of Physics Prize (Gallery of Fluid Motion by Physics of Fluids) “Three-Dimensional Chaotic Mixing”, Physics of Fluids, Volume 16(9), S8, P.E. Arratia, MM. Alvarez, T. Shinbrot and F.M. Muzzio
Rutgers Board of Trustees Research Fellow (Gold Star) Award
Dupont Young Professor Award 1995-1997 ($75,000).
Dupont Education Award 1998-2001 ($45,000)
Hoechst-Celanese Young Professor Award, 1995 ($20,000).
Merck Fellowship for Young Faculty Development, 1993-1997 ($120,000).
3M Foundation Untenured Faculty Award, 1993, 1994, 1995 ($45,000).
Exxon Education Foundation Award, 1992, 1993 ($20,000).
Gold Medal for Academic Achievement (1985 highest GPA, University-wide), University of Mar del Plata, Argentina.
Buenos Aires State Award for Highest GPA, 1985.
Member, “Promoting Adoption of Continuous Manufacturing”, an FDA workshop organized by the Brookings Institution, Washington, DC, October 2015.
Member, Scientific Advisory Board on API/Formulation interfaces, Astra Zeneca, UK, July 2015
Member, NSF Review panel on Foresights, August 2015.
Member, NSF ERC Blue Ribbon Award Recommendation panel, 1/26-1/29, 2015
Consulting Member, Committee on Pharmaceutical Sciences and Clinical Pharmacology, U.S. FDA. July 2014-present
Voting Member, Committee on Pharmaceutical Sciences and Clinical Pharmacology, U.S. FDA. 2010 – 2014
Consulting member, Committee on Pharmaceutical Sciences and Clinical Pharmacology, U.S. FDA. 2014 – present
Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Pharmaceutical Engineering Research Center, Graz University, Austria, 2008-present
Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Rutgers Energy Institute, July 2008 – present
Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Rutgers Institute for Advanced Materials, Devices, and Nanotechnology, January 2008-present
Member, Board of Directors, Rutgers Center for Innovative Ventures and Technology, January 2008-present
Editorial Board member, Integrated Pharmacy Research and Practice, 2011-present
Editorial Board member, Journal for Pharmaceutical Innovation, 2007-present
Editorial Board member, Pharmaceutical Technology, 2004-present
Committee of Visitors, NSF Program on Nanoscale Science and Technology, June 2004
Member, PQRI working Group on Blend Homogeneity, 2000-2003
Reviewer; NSF; AIChE J.; Physics of Fluids A; Advances in Polym. Tech.; Ind. and Eng. Chem. Res; J. Am. Ceramic Soc., Chem. Eng. Sci., J. Fluid Mech., Int. J. Pharmaceutics, Pharm Research, Drug Dev. & Ind. Pharmacy, J. Chem. Eng., etc.
Member, College Appointments and Promotions Committee, 2001-2003
Consultant, ExxonMobil, Merck and Co., DuPont, M&M Mars, Pfizer, National Starch and Chemical Co., Hoechst-Celanese, Abbott, Watson, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Hockmeyer, General Electric, Procter & Gamble, Dow, Amoco, Dexter, Koch-Glitch, NIRO-GEA, GSK, Wyeth, Allergan, Sepracor, Natural Alternatives International, Schering-Plough, ILC Dover, Haldor-Topsoe, Patheon, Irvine Scientific, Johnson and Johnson, Vertex, Eli Lilly, Altana, Tunnell, Robertet Flavors USA, Orion Pharma, Glatt Air Technologies, Alion Science, Medtronic, Estee Lauder, Colorcon, Leidos, Astra Zeneca, Dr. Reddy, Ranbaxy, Sun Pharma.
Expert Witness, Carlson & Caspers LLP, Winston & Strawn LLP, Frommer, Lawrence & Haug LLP, Paul Hastings LLP, Budd Larner LLP, Knobbe Martens LLP, Holland and Knight LLP, McCarthy-Tetrault LLP (Canada); Goodwin Procter LLP; Greenburg & Traurig LLP, Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto LLP; Hunton & Williams LLP, Lowenstein & Sanders LLP; Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld LLP, Kenyon & Kenyon LLP, Leydig, Voit & Mayer LLP, Morrison and Foerster LLP, Latham & Watkins LLP, Stene, Kessler, Goldtein and Fox LLP, Aitken& Klee LLP; Fish and Richardson LLP; Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP.
Mixing in reactive and multiphase flows, blending of dry powders, and applications of the fundamental concepts of chaos theory
I have spent the last 25 years focused on developing and applying systematic engineering methodologies for the design and optimization of pharmaceutical products and processes. My work has included the study of many manufacturing methods, including liquid mixing, powder blending, granulation, tableting, and coating. In the last 15 years, my focus gradually shifted to continuous processes. I started a research consortium on this topic in 2002, and expanded it in 2006 when the NSF ERC on Structured Organic Particulate Systems was funded. As director of this large center, I had an opportunity to learn how to manage a large research enterprise across multiple institutions and supported by many companies. The ERC succeeded in demonstrating the advantages of continuous manufacturing, which in the last five years has become a priority at the FDA, BARDA, and the industry. During this same period, we initiated a partnership with Janssen pharmaceuticals, leading to the development of a continuous process for the anti-HIV medication Prezista, which was the first conversion from batch to continuous approved by FDA in April 2016.
Overall, through my work in pharmaceutical manufacturing, I have authored over 200 publications, with half of those related to continuous processes. This work also enabled me to assemble a very strong team of colleagues, post docs, and students, and to develop a very strong infrastructure dedicated to materials characterization, process development, and product testing. This team and this infrastructure are ideally suited for the proposed project.
1. The Effect of Operating Conditions on the Residence Time Distribution and Axial Dispersion Coefficient of a Cohesive Powder in a Rotary Kiln. Ingrid Paredes, Bereket Yohannes, Heather Emady, Benjamin Glasser, William Borghard, Fernando Muzzio, Alberto Cutino, Jean Beeckman, Samia Illias, Paul Podsiadlo, Eric Jezek, Joseph Baumgartner. Chemical Engineering Science 158, 50-57 (2017).
2. Capillary drop penetration method to characterize the liquid wetting of powders, Z. Liu, Y Wang, F. Muzzio, G. Callegari, G. Drazer, Langmuir, 33 (1), pp 56–65 (2017).
3. Diminished Segregation in Continuous Powder Mixing. S. Oka, A., Sahay, W. Meng and F. Muzzio. Powder Technology 309:79-88 (2017).
4. Predicting feeder performance based on material flow properties. Yifan Wang, Tianyi Li, Ben Glasser and Fernando Muzzio, Powder Technology. 308:135-148. (2017)
5. Effect of resonant acoustic mixing on pharmaceutical powder blends and tablets. J.G. Osorio, K. Sowrirajan, F.J. Muzzio, Advanced Powder Technology 27 1141-1148 (2016).
6. Effects of processing parameters and blade patterns on continuous pharmaceutical powder mixing. J.G. Osorio, F.J. Muzzio. Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification 109 59-67 (2016).
7. Prediction of Conductive Heating Time Scales of Particles in a Rotary Drum, Heather N. Emady, Kellie V. Anderson, William G. Borghard, Fernando J. Muzzio, Benjamin J. Glasser, Alberto Cuitino, Chemical Engineering Science, 152(2), 54-54 (2016).
8. Scaling of heat transfer and temperature distribution in granular flows in rotating drums. B. Yohannes, H. Emady, K. Anderson, I. Pareders, M. Javed, W Borghard, B.J. Glasser, F.J. Muzzio, and A.M. Cuitino. Phys. Rev. E 94(4) 042902 (2016).
9. Statistical analysis and comparison of a continuous high shear granulator and a twin screw granulator: effect of process parameters on critical granule attributes and granulation mechanisms, Wei Meng, Lalith Kotamarthy, Savitha Panikar, Maitraye Sen, Shankali Pradhan, Michaelis Marc, James D. Litster, Fernando J. Muzzio, Rohit Ramachandran. Submitted to International Journal of Pharmaceutics 513 (1-2) pp.357-375 (2016).
10. A novel consolidation method to measure powder flow properties using a small amount of material, S Koynov, FJ Muzzio, BJ Glasser, AIChE Journal, 62, 4193-4200 (2016).
11. Improving Dissolution Kinetics of Pharmaceuticals by Fluidized Bed Impregnation of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients, Plamen Grigorov, Benjamin Glasser, and Fernando J. Muzzio, AIChE J. 62, 4201-4214 (2016).
12. Statistical analysis and comparison of a continuous high shear granulator and a twin screw granulator: effect of process parameters on critical granule attributes and granulation mechanisms, Wei Meng, Lalith Kotamarthy, Savitha Panikar, Maitraye Sen, Shankali Pradhan, Michelis Marc, James Litster, Fernando Muzzio, Rohit Ramachandran, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 513, 357-375 (2016).
13. Near Infrared Spectroscopic Calibration Models for real time monitoring of powder density, Andres Roman, Ravendra Singh, Carlos Zuniga, Rafael Mendez, Rohit Ramachandran, Marianthi Ierapetritou, Fernando Muzzio, Rodolfo Romanach, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 52, 61-74, (2016).
14. Enabling real time release testing by NIR prediction of dissolution of tablets made by Continuous Direct Compression (CDC), P. Pawar, Y. Wang, G. Keyvan; G.Callegari, A. Cuitino, F. Muzzio. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 512, 96-107 (2016).
15. The effect of mechanical strain on properties of lubricated tablets compacted at different pressures, P. Pawar, H. Joo, G. Callegari, G. Drazer, A. Cuitino, and F. J.Muzzio, Powder Technology 301, 657-664 (2016).
16. Statistical comparison of dissolution profiles. Y. Wang, R. D. Snee, G. Keyvan, F.J. Muzzio. Drug development and industrial pharmacy 42.5: 796-807 (2016).
17. Prediction of Dissolution Profiles by Non-Destructive Near Infrared Spectroscopy in Tablets Subjected to Different Levels of Strain. E. Hernandez, P. Pawar, G. Callegari, Y. Wang, N. Velez, G. Keyvan, B. Michniak, , F. Muzzio, A. Cuitiño, and R. J. Romañach. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 117, 568-576 (2016).
18. The effect of Shear applied during pharmaceutical process on near infrared spectra. Eduardo Hernandez, Pallavi Pawar, Sandra Rodriguez, Sergiy Lysenko, Fernando Muzzio, Rodolfo Romanach, Appied Spectroscopy 70 455-466 (2016).
19. Effect of Liquid Addition on the Bulk and Flow Properties of Fine and Coarse Glass Beads, James Scicolone, Benjamin Glasser, and Fernando Muzzio, AIChE Journal 62, 648–658 (2016).
20. Micro-mixing dynamics of active pharmaceutical ingredients in bin-blending, J. Osorio, G. Stuessy, G. Kemeny, and F.J. Muzzio, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 102, 141-155 (2016).
21. Measurement of the Axial Dispersion Coefficient of Powders in a Rotating Cylinder: Dependence on Bulk Flow Properties, Sara Koynov, Yifan Wang, Fernando Muzzio; Benjamin Glasser, Powder Technology 292 298–306 (2016)
22. Predicting Flow Behavior of Pharmaceutical Blends Using Shear Cell Methodology: A Quality by Design Approach, Yifan Wang, Wei Meng, Ronald D. Snee, Fernando J. Muzzio, Powder Technology 294 (2016)
23. Perspectives in the continuous manufacturing of powder-based pharmaceutical processes Marianthi Ierapetritou, Fernando Muzzio, and Gintaras Reklaitis, AIChE J. 62, 1846–1862 (2016)
24. Characterization of Resonant Acoustic Mixing using Near-Infrared Chemical Imaging, Juan G. Osorio and Fernando J. Muzzio, Powder Technology 297, 349–356 (216)
25. Quantitative validation and analysis of the regime map approach for the wet granulation of industrially relevant zirconium hydroxide powders, Manogna Adepu, Siddhi Hate, Angelique Bétard, Sarang Oka, Marek Schongut, Maitraye Sen, Yadvaindera Sood, Dorit Wolf, Stefan Wieland, Frantisek Stepanek, Fernando Muzzio, Benjamin Glasser, Rohit Ramachandran, Powder Technology 294, 177–184 (2016)
26. A Method to Analyze Shear Cell Data of Powders Measured under Different Initial Consolidation Stresses, Yifan Wang, Ben Glasser, and Fernando Muzzio, Powder Technology 294, 105-112 (2016).
27. Flowsheet models to modernize pharmaceutical manufacturing design and risk assessment Escotet-Espinoza, M.S., Singh, R., Sen, M., O’connor, T., Lee, S., Chatterjee, S., Ramachandran, R., Ierapetritou, M., Muzzio, F.J. Pharmaceutical Technology 39(4), pp. 34, (2015).
28. Fit-for-purpose miniature NIR spectroscopy for solid dosage continuous manufacturing, Karry, K.M., Singh, R., Muzzio, F.J., American Pharmaceutical Review 18 (4), 2015.
29. A quantitative approach to understand raw material variability, Koynov, S., Muzzio, F.J., Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology 32, pp. 85, 2015.
30. Advanced control of continuous pharmaceutical tablet manufacturing processes, Singh, R., Velazquez, C., Sahay, A., Karry, K.M., Muzzio, F.J., Ierapetritou, M.G., Ramachandran, R., Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology 32, pp. 191, 2015.
31. Plant-Wide Control of a Continuous Tablet Manufacturing for Quality-By-Design Based Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Singh, R., Muzzio, F., Ierapetritou, M., Ramachandran, R., Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 37, pp. 2183, 2015.
32. Evaluation of Resonant Acoustic Mixing Performance, Juan G. Osorio and F.J. Muzzio, Powder Technology, 278 , pp. 46, 2015.
33. A simple color concentration measurement technique for powders, Emady, H.N., Wittman, M., Koynov, S., Borghard, W.G., Muzzio, F.J., Glasser, B.J., Cuitino, A.M., Powder Technology 286, pp. 392, 2015.
34. Feedrate Deviations Caused by Hopper Refill of Loss-in-Weight Feeders, Powder Technology, William Engisch and Fernando J. Muzzio, Powder Technology 283, pp. 389, 2015.
35. Comparison of three rotational shear cell testers: Powder flowability and bulk density, Koynov, S., Glasser, B., Muzzio, F., Powder Technology 283, pp. 103, 2015.
36. Statistical Comparison of Dissolution Profiles, Y. Wang, R.D. Snee, G. Keyvan, F.J. Muzzio, Drug Dev. and Ind. Pharmacy, dx.doi.org/10.3109/03639045.2015.1078349.
37. Using Residence Time Distributions (RTDs) To Address The Traceability Of Raw Materials In Continuous Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, William Engisch and Fernando Muzzio, Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 11 64-81 (2016) DOI: 10.1007/s12247-015-9238-1.
38. The Effects of Improper Mixing and Preferential Wetting of Active and Excipient Ingredients on Content Uniformity in High Shear Wet Granulation, Sarang Oka, Heather Emady, Ondrej Kaspar, Viola Tokarova, Frantisek Stepanek, Fernando Muzzio and Rohit Ramachandran. Powder Technology, 278, 266–277 (2015).
39. A combined feed-forward/feed-back control system for a QbD based continuous tablet manufacturing process, Ravendra Singh, Fernando J. Muzzio, Marianthi Ierapetritou, Rohit Ramachandran, Processes 3(2), 339-356 (2015).
40. Effects of mill design and process parameters in milling dry extrudates. Powder Technology 278, pp. 84. A. Vanarase, R. Aslam, S. Oka, F. Muzzio, 2015.
41. Loss-in-Weight Feeding Trials Case Study: Pharmaceutical Formulation, W.E. Engisch, F. J. Muzzio. Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 10, 56-75 (2015)
42. A quantitative study of the effect of process parameters on key granule characteristics in a high shear wet granulation process involving a two component pharmaceutical blend S. Oka, O. Kašpar, V. Tokárová, K. Sowrirajan, H. Wu, M. Khan, F. Muzzio, F. Štěpánek, R. Ramachandran. Advanced Powder Technology, Vol.26, No.1, 315-322, 2015.
43. Assessment of Blend and Content Uniformity. Technical Discussion of Sampling Plans and Application of ASTM E2709/E2810. Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation DOI 10.1007/s12247-014-9208-z. James Bergum, Thomas Parks, James Prescott, Ravindra Tejwani, Jon Clark, William Brown, Fernando Muzzio, Samir Patel, Charles Hoiberg.
44. Recommendations for the Assessment of Blend and Content Uniformity: Modifications to Withdrawn FDA Draft Stratified Sampling Guidance. J Pharm Innov DOI
10.1007/s12247-014-9207-0, Thomas Garcia, James Bergum, James Prescott, Ravindra Tejwani, Thomas Parks, Jon Clark, William Brown, Fernando Muzzio.
45. Characterization of Pharmaceutical Powder Blends Using In Situ Near-Infrared Chemical Imaging. Chemical Engineering Science 108, 244–257, 2014. Juan G. Osorio, Gina Stuessy, Gabor J. Kemeny, Fernando J. Muzzio.
46. Particle size segregation promoted by powder flow in confined space: The die filling process, Powder Tech, 262, 215–222 (2014). D. Mateo, F. J. Muzzio, R. Méndez.
47. A systematic framework for onsite design and implementation of a control system in the continuous tablet manufacturing process. Computers and Chemical Engineering 66 (2014) 186–200. Ravendra Singh, Abhishek Sahay, Fernando J. Muzzio, Marianthi Ierapetritou, Rohit Ramachandran.
48. Implementation of an advanced hybrid MPC–PID control system using PAT tools into a direct compaction continuous pharmaceutical tablet manufacturing pilot plant. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 473 (2014) 38–54. Ravendra Singh, Abhishek Sahay, Krizia M. Karry, Fernando J. Muzzio, Marianthi Ierapetritou, Rohit Ramachandran.
49. Effects of powder flow properties and shear environment on the performance of continuous mixing of pharmaceutical powders, Powder Technology. 246, 63-72 (2013) Aditya U. Vanarase, Juan G. Osorio, Fernando J. Muzzio.
50. Development of a methodology to estimate error in the in-line concentration measurements in a continuous powder mixing process, Powder Technology. 241, 263–271 (2013). Aditya U. Vanarase, Maiju Jarvinen, Janne Paaso, Juan Osorio, Fernando Muzzio.
51. Scale-up strategy for continuous powder blending process Powder Tech. 235, 55-69, 2013, Y. Gao, F.J. Muzzio, M. Ierapetritou.
52. Determination of Residence Time Distribution in Rotary Calciner, AIChE Journal, 59(11), 4068- 4076, 2013. Y. Gao, B.L. Glasser, M.G. Ierapetritou, A. Cuitino, F.J. Muzzio, J. Beeckman, N. Fassbender, W. Borghard.
53. Improving continuous powder blending performance using projection to latent structures regression. Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 8(2), 99-110, 2013. Y. Gao, F. Boukouvala, B. Engisch, W. Meng, F.J. Muzzio, M.G. Ierapetritou.
54. Estimation of the confidence interval of the RSD measurement in pharmaceutical manufacturing. Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 8(2), 72-82, 2013. Y. Gao, M.G. Ierapetritou, F.J. Muzzio.
55. Role of Consolidation State in the Measurement of Bulk Density and Cohesion, Powder Technology. 239, 366-373 (2013) Alisa Vasilenko; Sara Koynov; Benjamin J Glasser; Fernando Muzzio.
56. Fluidized Bed Drying of Pharmaceutical Materials: Moisture Measurement and Effects of Particle Size, American Pharmaceutical Review, 4, (2013) Xue Liu, Fernando J. Muzzio, Johannes G. Khinast, Benjamin J. Glasser.
57. Continuous direct tablet compression: effects of impeller rotation rate, total feed rate and drug content on the tablet properties and drug release, DDIP, 39(11):1802-1808, 2013 M. Järvinen, J. Paaso, M. Paavola, K. Leiviskä, M. Juuti, F. Muzzio, K. Järvinen.
58. Reduced-order discrete element method modeling, Chemical Engineering Science, 95, 12-26, 2013 F. Boukouvala, Y. Gao, F. Muzzio, M.G. Ierapetritou.
59. Effects of type of microcrystalline cellulose and blend flowability on the homogeneity of acetaminophen. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 39, 252-258, 2013. Marcos Llusa, Kalyana Pingali and Fernando J. Muzzio.
60. Effects of powder flow properties on capsule filling weight uniformity, Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 39, 1464-1475, 2013. Juan G. Osorio and Fernando J. Muzzio. 61. Quantitative on-line vs. off-line NIR analysis of fluidized bed drying with consideration of the spectral background, European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 85, 1064-1074, 2013, Nicolas Heigl, Daniel M. Koller, Benjamin J. Glasser, Fernando J. Muzzio, Johannes G. Khinast.
62. Formulation and Manufacture of Pharmaceuticals by Fluidized Bed Impregnation of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients onto Porous Carriers. Plamen I. Grigorov, Benjamin J. Glasser and Fernando J. Muzzio, AIChE Journal, 59, 4538–4552, 2013.
63. A review of the Residence Time Distribution (RTD) applications in solid unit operations, Powder Tech. 228, 416-423, 2012, Y. Gao, F.J. Muzzio, M. Ierapetritou.
64. Computational approaches for studying the granular dynamics of continuous blending processes - II: Population balance and data-based methods, Macromolecular Materials Engineering, 297(1), 9-19, 2012. F. Boukouvala, R. Ramachandran, A. Dubey, A. Vanarase, F.J. Muzzio, M.G. Ierapetritou.
65. An integrated approach for dynamic flowsheet modeling and sensitivity analysis of a continuous tablet manufacturing process, Computers and Chemical Engineering 42, p. 30-47, 2012 F. Boukouvala, V. Niotis, R. Ramachandran, A. Vanarase, F.J. Muzzio, M.G. Ierapetritou.
66. Effect Of Feed Frame Design And Operating Parameters On Powder Attrition, Particle Breakage, And Powder Properties, Powder Technology 229, pp. 253–260, 2012, R. Mendez, C. Velazquez, and F. J. Muzzio.
67. Periodic Section Modeling of Convective Continuous Powder Mixing Processes. AIChE Journal. 58, pp. 69-78, 2012, Y. Gao, M. Ierapetritou, F.J. Muzzio.
68. Automated Drop-on-Demand System with Real-Time Gravimetric Control for Precise Dosage Formulation, J Lab Autom. doi: 10.1177/2211068211433398, 2012 A. Sahay, M. Brown, F. Muzzio, P. Takhistov.
69. Flexible Multipurpose Continuous Processing. PharmPro Magazine, 28 June, 2012, http://www.pharmpro.com/articles/2012/06/business-Flexible-Multipurpose-... R. Singh, F. Boukouvala, E. Jayjock, R. Ramachandran, M. Ierapetritou, F. Muzzio.
70. AFM study of hydrophilicity on acetaminophen crystals. Int. J. Pharmaceutics. 438 pp.184-90, 2012, K. C. Pingali, T. Shinbrot, A. Cuitino, F. J. Muzzio, E. Garfunkel, Y. Lifshitz, A. B Mann.
71. Impact of process parameters on critical performance attributes of a continuous blender-A DEM-based study AIChE Journal58, pp. 3676–3684, 2012, A. Dubey, A. U. Vanarase, and F. J. Muzzio.
72. Optimizing continuous powder mixing processes using periodic section modeling. Chemical Engineering Science80, pp. 70-80, 2012 Y. Gao, F. J. Muzzio, M. G. Ierapetritou.
73. Method for characterization of loss-in-weight feeder equipment. Powder Technology 228, pp. 395-403, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2012.05.058, 2012, W. Engisch, F. J. Muzzio.
74. Powder Hydrophobicity and Flow Properties: Effect of Feed Frame Design and Operating Parameters, AIChE J. 58, 697-706, 2012, R. Mendez, F. J. Muzzio, and C. Velazquez.
75. Improvement of Tablet coating uniformity using quality by design approach, AAPS Pharm. Sci. Tech.13, 1, 231-246, 2012.A. Dubey, F. Boukouvala, G. Keyvan, R. Hsia, K. Saranteas, D. Brone, T. Misra, M. Ierapetritou and F. Muzzio.
76. Turning around Pharmaceutical Manufacturing in the United States - Pharmaceutical Technology, Nov. 2011, F Muzzio, M Futran.
77. Computer Aided Design and Analysis of Continuous Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Processes, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering 29, 216-220, 2011, Fani
Boukouvala, R. Ramachandran, A. Vanarase, F. J. Muzzio, and M. Ierapetritou.
78. Important Factors in the Size Reduction of Polymer-Stabilized Drug Particle Suspensions Using High-Pressure Homogenization, Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 6, pp 97-106, 2011, F. Romanski, E. Jayjock, F. Muzzio and M. Tomassone.
79. Effect of speed, loading and spray pattern on coating variability in a pan coater. Chemical Engineering Science 66(21): 5107-5115, 2011, A. Dubey, R. Hsia, K. Saranteas, D. Brone, T. Misra, F. J. Muzzio.
80. Dynamic Data- Driven Modeling of Pharmaceutical Processes, Ind. & Eng. Chem. Research 50 (11), pp 6743–6754, 2011, Fani Boukouvala, Fernando Muzzio, Marianthi Ierapetritou.
81. Feasibility Analysis of Black-Box Processes Using an Adaptive Sampling Krigign Based Method, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 432-436, 2011, Fani Boukouvala, F.J. Muzzio, and M. Ierapetritou.
82. Analysis of Pharmaceutical Tablet Coating Uniformity by Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS), Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation 6 (2), 77-87, 2011, Atul Dubey, Golshid Keyvan, Richard Hsia, Kostas Saranteas, Dean Brone, Tushar Misra, Fernando J Muzzio.
83. Investigation on the effect of blade patterns on continuous solid mixing performance, Can J Chem Eng, 89, pp 969-984, 2011, Yijie Gao, Marianthi Ierapetritou, and Fernando Muzzio
84. Computational Approaches for Studying the Granular Dynamics of Continuous Blending Processes, 1 – DEM Based Methods, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 296(3-4): 290-307, 2011, Atul Dubey, Avik Sarkar, Fani Bokouvala, Rohit Ramachandran, Carl W. Wassgren, Marianthi Ierapetritou, Fernando J Muzzio.
85. Mixing order of glidant and lubricant – Influence on powder and tablet properties, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 409: 269-277 (2011). Kalyana Pingali, Rafael Mendez, Daniel Lewis, Bozena Michniak, Fernando J. Muzzio.
86. Evaluation of strain induced hydrophobicity of pharmaceutical blends and its effect on drug release rate under multiple compression conditions, Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 37(4): 428-435, 2011. Kalyana C. Pingali, Rafael Mendez, Daniel Lewis, Bozena Michniak-Kohn, Fernando J. Muzzio.
87. Characterizing continuous powder mixing using residence time distribution, Chem. Eng. Sci, 66, 417–425, 2011, Yijie Gao, Aditya Vanarase, Fernando Muzzio, and Marianthi Ierapetritou.
88. Characterization of Feeder Effects on Continuous Mixing Using Fourier Series Analysis, AIChE Journal, 57, 1144-1153, 2011. Yijie Gao, Fernando Muzzio, and Marianthi Ierapetritou.
89. Shear and Flow Behavior of Pharmaceutical Blends – Method Comparison Study, Powder Technology, 208, 628-636, 2011, Alisa Vasilenko, Benjamin J. Glasser, Fernando J. Muzzio.
90. Effect of operating conditions and design parameters in a continuous powder mixer, Powder Technology 208, 26-36, 2011, Aditya U. Vanarase and Fernando J. Muzzio.
91. Pharmaceutical Engineering Science – New Approaches to Pharmaceutical Development and Manufacturing, Chem Eng. Sci. 65, Pages iv-vii (2010), Gintaras V. Reklaitis, Johannes Khinast, and Fernando J Muzzio.
92. Real-time monitoring of drug concentration in a continuous powder mixing process using NIR spectroscopy, Rodolfo J Romanach, Aditya U Vanarase, Manel Alcalà, Jackeline I Jerez Rozo, Fernando J Muzzio, Chem Eng. Sci., 65(21), 5728 – 5733 (2010).
93. Predictive Modeling of Pharmaceutical Processes with Missing and Noisy Data, Fani Boukouvala, Fernando J. Muzzio, Marianthi G. Ierapetritou, AIChE J. 56, 2860-2872 (2010).
94. Design Space of Pharmaceutical Processes using Data-Driven based Methods, Fani Boukouvala, Fernando J.Muzzio, Marianthi G. Ierapetritou JPI, 5(3), 119-137, (2010)
95. Study of the Effect of Feed Frames on Powder Blends Properties During the Filling of Tablet Press Dies. Rafael Mendez, Fernando Muzzio, Carlos Velazquez Powder Technology, 200 105-116 (2010).
96. Investigating the effects of Speed, Flowrate, and Cohesion using PEPT on a Continuous Blender, Patricia M. Portillo, Aditya U. Vanarese, Marianthi G. Ierapetritou, Jonathan Seville, and Fernando J. Muzzio Chem. Eng. Sci, 65 5658–5668 (2010).
97. Constitutive Model to Predict Flow Properties of Cohesive Powders in Bench Scale Hoppers, A. N. Faqih, B. Chaudhuri, A. Mehrotra, F. J. Muzzio and M. S. Tomassone Chem. Eng. Sci. 65 3341–3351 (2010).
98. The effect of dielectrophoresis on the flow of granular materials. Keirnan R. LaMarche, Fernando J. Muzzio, Troy Shinbrot, and Benjamin J. Glasser, Powder Technology 199 180–188 (2010).
99. Effects of shear and electrical properties on flow characteristics of pharmaceutical blends, K. C. Pingali, M. S. Tomassone, F. J. Muzzio, AIChE J. 56(3): 570 – 583 (2010).
100. Experimentally Validated Computations of Heat Transfer in Granular Materials in Rotary Calciners. Bodhisattwa Chaudhuria , Fernando J. Muzzio b and M. Silvina Tomassone Powder Technology 198, 6-15 (2010)
101. Measuring Hydrophobicity of Lubricated Pharmaceutical Blends, Marcos Llusa; Michael Levin; Ronald Snee; Fernando J. Muzzio. Powder Technology 198, 101-107; (2010)
102. Inversion of Andersen Cascade Impactor Data Using the Maximum Entropy Method Yurij Gulak, Eric Jayjock, Fernando Muzzio, and Andrea Bauer, Paul Mc Glynn Aerosol Science and Technology, 44, 29-37 (2010)
103. Comparing mixing performance of uniaxial and biaxial bin blenders - Amit Mehrotra and Fernando J. Muzzio, Powder Technology 196, 1–7 (2009)
104. Shear induced acetaminophen de-agglomeration, Marcos Llusa, Michael Levin, Ronald D. Snee, Fernando J. Muzzio Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 2009; 35 (12) 1487–1495 (2009)
105. Practical methods for improving flow properties of active pharmaceutical ingredients, K.C. Pingali, K. Saranteas, R. Foroughi, and F.J. Muzzio, Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 35 (12), 1460, (2009).
106. Predictive Modeling for Mixing and Feeding Processes using Kriging and Response Surface, Zhenya Jia, Eddie Davis, Fernando Muzzio, and Marianthi Ierapetritou, JPI (online DOI 10.1007/s12247-009-9070-6, November 2009)
107. Numerical calibration of the Andersen cascade impactor at different air flow rates Yurij Gulak, Eric Jayjock, Andrea Bauer, and Fernando Muzzio IJP 377, 45-51 (2009)
108. Effects of Rotation Rate, Mixing Angle, and Cohesion in two Continuous Powder Mixers – a statistical approach Patricia M. Portillo, Marianthi G. Ierapetritou, Fernando J. Muzzio, Powder Technology 194, 217–227 (2009).
109. Experimental and Model Based Approaches to Studying Mixing in Coating Pans, D. Fichana, A. J. Marchut, P. H. Ohlsson, S.-Y. Chang, O. Lyngberg, J. Dougherty, S. Kiang, H. Stamato, B. Chaudhuri, and F. Muzzio, Pharmaceutical Development and Technology 14, 173 – 184 (2009).