Postdoctoral associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011-2015
PhD Chemical Engineering, Tufts University, 2005-2011
MS Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, China 2002-2005
BS Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, China 1998-2002
Our research aims at developing robust biological systems for high-efficiency biosynthesis of various value-added compounds, including commodity chemicals, specialty chemicals, nutraceuticals, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
• Ganesan V. Li Z. Wang X. Zhang H. Heterologous biosynthesis of natural product naringenin by co-culture engineering. Synthetic and Systems Biotechnology. 2017. 2(3): 236-242.
• Zhang H. Wang X. Modular co-culture engineering, a new approach for metabolic engineering. Metabolic Engineering. 2016. 37: 114-121.
• Zhang H. Stephanopoulos G. Co-culture engineering for microbial biosynthesis of 3-amino-benzoic acid in E. coli.Biotechnology Journal. 2016. 11(7): 981-987.
• Jiang M. Zhang H. Engineering the shikimate pathway for biosynthesis of molecules with pharmaceutical activities in E. coli. Current Opinion in Biotechnology. 2016. 42: 1-6.
• Li Z, Qiao K, Shi W, Pereira B, Zhang H, Olsen B, Stephanopoulos G. Biosynthesis of novel glycolate-containing polymers from glucose by metabolically engineered Escherichia coli. Metabolic Engineering. 2016. 35: 1-8.
• Pereira B, Li Z, De Mey M, Lim CG, Zhang H, Hoeltgen C, Stephanopoulos G. Efficient utilization of pentoses for the bioproduction of renewable two-carbon compounds, ethylene glycol and glycolate. Metabolic Engineering. 2016. 34: 80-87.
• Pereira B, Zhang H, De Mey M, Lim CG, Li Z, Stephanopoulos G. Engineering a novle biosynthetic pathway inEscherichia coli for production of renewable ethylene glycol. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 2016. 113: 376-383.
• Zhang H, Fang L, Pfeifer B. The continuing development of E. coli as a heterologous host for complex natural product. Nonribosomal Peptide and Polyketide Biosynthesis: Methods and Protocols. 2016. 1401: 121-134.
• Zhang H, Li Z, Pereira B, Stephanopoulos G. Engineering E. coli-E. coli cocultures for production of muconic acid from glycerol. Microbial Cell Factories. 2015. 14: 134.
• Zhang H, Pereira B, Li Z, Stephanopoulos G. Engineering Escherichia coli coculture systems for the production of biochemical products. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2015. 112: 8266-8271.
• Qiao K, Abidi S, Liu H, Zhang H, Chakraborty S, Watson N, Ajikumar PK, Stephanopoulos G. Engineering lipid overproduction in the oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Metabolic Engineering. 2015. 29: 56-65.
• Zhang H, Stephanopoulos G. Engineering E. coli for caffeic acid biosynthesis from renewable sugars. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2013. 97(8): 3333-3341.
• Jiang M, Zhang H, Park S, Li Y, Pfeifer B. Deoxysugar pathway interchange for erythromycin analogues heterologously produced through E. coli. Metabolic Engineering. 2013. 20: 92-100.
• Jiang M, Zhang H, Pfeifer B. The logic, experimental steps, and potential of heterologous natural product biosynthesis featuring the complex antibiotic erythromycin A produced through E. coli. The Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2013. (71): e4346.
• Zhang H, Skalina K, Jiang M, Pfeifer B. Improved E. coli erythromycin A production through the application of metabolic and bioprocess engineering. Biotechnology Progress. 2012. 28(1): 292-296.
• Zhang H, Boghigian B, Armando J, Pfeifer B. Methods and options for the heterologous production of complex natural products. Natural Product Reports. 2011. 28(1): 125-151.
• Boghigian B, Zhang H, Pfeifer B. Multi-factorial engineering of heterologous polyketide production in Escherichia coli reveals complex pathway interactions. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 2011. 108(6): 1360-1371.
• Zhang H, Wang Y, Wu J, Pfeifer B. Complete biosynthesis of erythromycin A and designed analogs using E. colias a heterologous host. Chemistry and Biology. 2010. 17: 1232-1240.
• Zhang H, Boghigian B, Pfeifer B. Investigating the role of native propionyl-CoA and methylmalonyl-CoA metabolism on heterologous polyketide production in Escherichia coli. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 2010. 105(3): 567-573.
• Wu J, Boghigian B, Myint M, Zhang H, Pfeifer B. Construction and performance of heterologous polyketide producing K-12 and B-derived Escherichia coli. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 2010. 51: 196-204.
• Zhang H, Wang Y, Boghigian B, Pfeifer B. Probing the heterologous metabolism supporting 6-deoxyerythronolide B biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. Microbial Biotechnology. 2009. 2(3): 390-394.
• Zhang H, Wang Y, Pfeifer B. Bacterial hosts for natural product production. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2008. 5(2): 212-225.
• Zhang H, Li Q, Wang H, Sun D, Lu Y, He N. Accumulation of silver(I) ion and diamine silver complex byAeromonas SH10 biomass. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2007. 143: 54-62.
• Zhang H, Li Q, Lu Y, Lin X, Deng X, He N, Zheng S. Biosorption and bioreduction of diamine silver complex byCorynebacterium. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology. 2005. 80(3): 285-290.
• Zhang H, Li Q, Sun D, Lin X, Deng X, Lu Y, He N. The preparation of silver nanoparticles. Precious Metals. 2005. 26(2): 51-56.